phyzis

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The resident class bimbo as what the boys call her got an A for the lecture test. She gets teased that but not sure if she minds. Why do the call her that? Most part because she has this dazed look in class and basically coz she is very “theah” with the boyz. But today the boys went “waaah, xxxxx” got an A and I sensed some were surprised and some were not too happy. Ha. I call it the revenge of the “bimbo”.

I can empathize with her. While I was in JC, my class girl was full of bimbotic behaving girls. Girls who yak non stop about fluff. The boys will call the girls bimbotic. Err..i have to say I wasn’t part of them coz I was a very ‘kwai’ and shy girl then (and I still am now) But I am very proud of my bimbo class girls coz all of them have brains behind the fluff. Despite the blurness and the daze expressions that they carry throughtout the tutorials, they all aced in the studies, did S papers, and half of them are scholars, doing well in their careers now..

Hahah..my experience comes later in life in Uni. When I was in the nerdiest class in the nerdiest faculty. Somehow somewhere along the way., I got labelled a bimbo. I wasn’t too sure how that come about. I was irritated in the beginning, but then after awhile I couldn’t care. And at the end of the four years, I was proud to say , girls who like to wear their skirts short and their jeans low-slung. (and look pretty and hip) were acing their studies and taking their place in the honour rolls. Of coz we have to thank the boys who were all so kind and willing to help us with the tutorials, but hey, we also have to give ourselves some credit coz there still needs to be some substansial grey matter to be able to do a 3hour long paper every semester.

What is less forgiveable however is working women acting blur, where one is to strive to be professional. Hmm..let me say first though, being blur and acting blur is a different matter. What cheese me off however are people who look down on women who like to dress well and pretty.

I once got this comment which run somewhere along the like “maybe it’s of the way you dress”. Which was totally baseless, coz I was actually being extra conservative wearing shirt and pants ALL the time. Aaahh..but then again what the person meant was maybe I stood out among the rest who wore auntie and uncle attires. You know how people say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, judge a person by his looks, this is like a reverse bias. Judging a person capabilities or rather underestimating a person’s capabilities by the way he or she dresses or look..HaH

somtime ago, i have actually rant about this..

""you may work like a dog, but you don't have to look like one!"
so, for my stressed out overworked fashionita friends out there, take heart.

there is nothing wrong to dress up pretty and girlish. that has nothing to do with your capabilities. as i got older and wiser, i realised, that in addition to being able to do the job well, dressing well and being presentable is afterall a definite strength, so why should we girls hide that side. of course, sometimes i know a pretty lady may make other women feel threatened (so you got to be extra nice) and sometimes you have them "eyeballing" you from head to toe, while men may tend to underestimate you (the latter is the one i like better). in any case, dressy or frumpy, if i want to do a job, i rather be allowed to do it in my own terms. "